Sunday, June 15, 2008

Fun Christian Education Songs with Motions

Growing up I learned a ton of Christian songs (my dad was a pastor, and he liked to sing).  I didn't always get the words at the time, but we sang them so much that I learned the words really well, and they became a part of who I became.  So I like to sing songs with my daughter to give her that gift.  These are some of our favorites:

I like this one so much, because when I revisited it as an adult it said so well the truth of what had happened in my life:
I thank you, Lord, your word is sown 
into my life, and there its grown.
The roots are deep where living waters are known.

The Lord has a will, and I have a need
To follow that will, 
To humbly be still,
To rest in it, nest in it, 
Fully be blessed in it
Following my Father's will.


This one is a fun energy-burner.  
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing.
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing.
I'm gonna sing when the Spirit says sing,
And obey the Spirit of the Lord.

I'm gonna run when the Spirit says run....
I'm gonna dance when the Spirit says dance....
I'm gonna jump when the Spirit says jump....
I'm gonna spin when the Spirit says spin...
I'm gonna march when the Spirit says march...
Then to calm things down:
I'm gonna sit when the Spirit says sit...
I'm gonna yawn when the Spirit says yawn...
I'm gonna lie down when the Spirit says lie down...
Etc.

The one teaches the Fruit of the Spirit in Galatians (to the tune of the Kermit the Frog's Rainbow Song).  We sign the words using American Sign Language:
Love and joy and peace
Patience, kindness, goodness
Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self-Control

These are the fruit, these are the fruit.
The fruit of the Spirit of God.
These are the fruit, its the fruit.
Of Jesus Christ.


We start out slowly with this one, and sing it over and over getting faster and faster until it is so fast we can't do it anymore:
I am a C
I am a C-h
I am a C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n.
And I have C-h-r-i-s-t in my H-e-a-r-t
And I will L-i-v-e E-t-e-r-n-a-l-l-y.


This one is about prayer.  We do hand motions for knock, talk, and stop:
I keep knock-knock-knocking on heaven's door
I keep talk-talk-talking cause you answer, Lord
Won't be stop-stop-stopping, so be listening for me
I'm knocking-knock-knocking on heaven's door 


An old classic.  We do this one with hand motions, too.
I am the church (point to me)
You are the church (point to you)
We are the church together. (use hand to gesture like there are lots of people)
All who follow Jesus all around the world.
Yes, we're the church together. (hand gestures like there are lots of people)

The church is not a building.
The church is not a steeple.
The church is not a resting place.
The church is the people.

No comments: